2018 was a busy year for our brand new non-profit!
Here are some highlights:
- February: Formed the Great Park Garden Coalition, a non-profit 501c3 corporation. Many thanks to Irell and Manella LLP who provided legal services at no charge.
- June: Attended the American Public Gardens Conference at the Disneyland Hotel and met garden leaders from the top public gardens in North America. It was incredibly educational and inspiring, and lots of offers of help were received.
- July – present: Concept design work is underway led by Placeworks, a land planning and design firm donating their services to this project.
- August: Received tax-exempt status from the IRS. Donations to Great Park Garden Coalition are tax deductible (check with the personal tax advisor).
- September: Participated in Irvine Global Village Festival. Over 500 garden lovers signed up as supporters at the one-day event.
- Ongoing: We have visited over twenty public gardens from California to Washington to New York and places in between, met with their directors/staff and gathered ideas and resources for creating the Great Park Botanical Garden.
Thank you GPGC Supporters!
Supporters of a Great Park Botanical Garden envision a place of natural beauty that is filled with native forests, wildflower meadows, and gardens where our many cultures, life events, arts, and music can be celebrated. It will be a place to stroll along shady paths and enjoy a relaxing adventure of discovery. It takes someone very special to see potential in the land now filled with old buildings and concrete. Joining together with other like-minded people increases the power and influence of our growing organization to push this goal into reality.