As 2019 comes to a close, we have a lot to celebrate! The culmination of almost three years of public advocacy to keep a botanical garden at the Great Park resulted in the identification of a site for the Great Park Botanical Garden by the City of Irvine in October 2019. We are so excited to begin planning a world-class botanical garden in partnership with the city of Irvine on a 40-acre site on Great Park Boulevard adjacent to the Agua Chinon Channel on one side and the future Veteran’s Cemetery on the other. Click here for more details.
Other highlights of 2019:
- May: Had the time of our lives making an informational video about the future Great Park Botanical Garden. Many thanks to family, friends, and professionals who donated their time and talent! Be sure to watch and share!
- June: Spent a week in Washington DC at the American Public Gardens Association international conference with the best of the best public garden people in the world. We learned so much, made many valuable contacts, and visited a dozen gardens.
- September: Participated in the Irvine Global Village Festival. Over 800 people signed up as supporters.
- October: Identification of a 40 acre site for the Garden!
- December: Met with Studio MLA and reviewed the amazing work they did in 2006/2007 on the Botanic Garden that was included in the Great Park Master Plan.
- Ongoing: Meetings with City Council members, city staff, landscape architects, fundraising experts, garden clubs, and giving talks to any group who would have us! Many thanks for everyone’s support. It takes a village to build a garden.
What’s next in 2020?
- Exclusive Negotiating Agreement with the City of Irvine: We are currently working with the City of Irvine to enter into an agreement to identify next steps to move ahead with garden planning and funding.
- Meeting with stakeholders and the public to identify the desired components for the garden.
- Starting the planning and fundraising process.
- Continuing to spread the word and generate public awareness. Please help by becoming a member or joining our email list.